HISTORY of the AWARD
As part of its mission, the SCAA is actively involved in issues related to sustainability and looks to its members to take leadership roles in sustainable practices. With this in mind, the Sustainability Council created the Sustainability Award in 2003 to promote, encourage and honor the efforts of those serving as role models in fields of sustainability. Each year, the Sustainability Council reviews dozens of applications. The awards are presented at the SCAA’s Annual Exposition, The Event, during the SCAA Awards Reception.
Meet your 2015 Award Recipient and view a list of past recipients to date: click here
This award celebrates innovative projects to expand and promote sustainability within the coffee world. In addition to recognizing the hard work of the individuals, businesses and organizations who created and implemented the project, the award aims to inspire others to initiate similar endeavors. Please note that the Sustainability Award is only for projects that have been implemented for 3 years or more. Products, companies, business models or ideas do not qualify for the award. Your project will be judged on the following four criteria:
- Projects that have undertaken innovative measures to include all or several aspects of social, economic and environmental development. Projects that have enhanced the long-term sustainability of the coffee industry by improving conditions for the people depending on coffee for their livelihood and/or creating conditions that have resulted in improved long-term durability of the project, in either producing or consuming areas across the industry.
- Projects that are replicable; they can be successfully implemented in a variety of locations and contexts.
- Projects that are scalable; they can be successfully adapted at both larger and smaller levels of the specialty coffee industry, hence making them more easily implemented.
- Projects that inspire other industry members who wish to contribute toward the specialty coffee industry’s desire to achieve the targets set forth by United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Please see sidebar for more information.
AWARD ELIGIBILITY AND PROCESS
This annual award is open to SCAA members and non-members who are involved in the coffee industry. Applications must be submitted on behalf of a project implemented for a minimum of 3 years. Individuals, organizations, businesses, farms and cooperatives may submit applications for multiple projects or programs.
Apply for the 2016 Sustainability Award.
AWARD RECIPIENT will receive
(1) 4-night hotel accommodation chosen by SCAA to attend The 2016 SCAA Event & Re:co Symposium in Atlanta, GA (April 2016)
(1) Reimbursement of up to $1,000 for US-based organizations ($1,500 for international organizations) from winner's residence to Atlanta, GA for travel to the 2016 Event.
(1) 1 Complimentary Re:co Symposium & Event Admission, and 2 Complimentary Event Admissions
See additional award recipient prizes plus second & third place recipient prizes: Full prize list